Industry vertical AR solutions are focused on using scalable AR solutions to solve issues for industries such as retail, logistics, specific CPG categories and publishing. Pricing models vary substantially based on factors such as usage, comprised of licensing, support and volume of usage fees. In this scenario, open source technology always helps us to increase flexibility and reduce the cost.
ARToolKit is a free and open source augmented reality SDK. ARToolKit 6 release is a biggest yet, and along a with whole new features, like Database(ImageTarget) manager, NFT real world image tracking, Planer Tracking also support Linux as a first-class citizen and primary platform.
The History of ARToolKit:
- 1999 First public demonstration @ SIGGRAPH.
- 2001 v1, with square tracking, released open source.
- 2001 ARToolworks Incorporated, begins selling Pro version.
- 2004 NFT tracking integrated into ARToolKit.
- 2004 v2 released open source.
- 2008-10 iPhone 3g Support, Open Source Innovation
- 2011-14 Android support added, further extending platform support.
- 2015 Acquired by DAQRI, pro version open sourced
- 2017 ARToolKit-6 The big release in AR industry
All new features in ARToolkit 6:
1. New Image Tracker: New for ARToolKit 6. Like v5.3, it uses FREAK features, but is a ground-up new development from DAQRI, using approaches such as optical flow alongside template
2. Planar Tracker: Using the same algorithms in our image tracker, we can also track unprepared planes. Just similar to SLAM technology used by Apple ARKit.
3. New Unity Plugin: Completely new developer experience, designed to make going for 0-to-AR faster and easier than ever before.